We have all done it. Reveling in that nice feeling of accomplishment after creating a great budget from a detailed analysis… only to have it blown within the first month of the new year. Can we avoid these unexpected curve balls? It is not likely that we can avoid them all together, but there are activities that will minimize the impact on company operations.
First, let’s take a look at some common areas that may affect budget projections:
• Increased vendor costs
• Sales fluctuations due to changing economic conditions
• Employee turnover
• Unanticipated replacement of major machinery or equipment
Build a contingency plan to minimize impacts felt by the company.
• Determine historical cost increases for your industry, and budget closer to the high end. Review widely circulated economic projections to assist with your assessment.
• Be prepared to reduce costs in time of decreased sales and ramp up production when goods are flying out the door. Have a plan before this happens.
• Don’t underestimate the impact of good employees on production or operating efficiencies. Make sure you are meeting with your employees at least annually to identify areas that need to be addressed. Do you have a program to cross train for key positions?
• When was the last time you had that AC unit or production equipment serviced? The last thing you want is to miss a delivery date due to equipment problems. That annual service contract may look like an unnecessary expense but it may pay dividends in the long run.
Planning for contingencies are often taken for granted. Leaning on experts to review your budget projections and cash flow will help identify the potential areas of risk. Not every risk must be covered, but just enough so that you can sleep at night and there are no unexpected surprises around the corner!Business Owner, Ceo, future, planning, Projections, vision
“Our organization was navigating an intense transition involving our government funding partners and public officials. Without the help of CFOSP, we would have experienced severe financial impacts and certainly lost donor confidence.”
CEO Central Florida Historical Society
“I applaud the stellar support provided by our CFO in embracing and understanding our budget priorities and operations that entail hundreds of financial transactions each month and several millions of dollars in expenditures annually. The nature of our business is very complex, yet your firm did not shy away from the challenge of establishing accounting processes and procedures that will sustain us well into the future.”
Kissimmee Chamber of Commerce, Experience Kissimmee
“…The services they have provided have tripled my bottom line, giving us serious profit levels that have helped fund company growth…”
President, Engineering Firm
“There is no limit to the value of the collective experience that the CFO team brings to the table. Their expertise in debt management, tax reporting, cost of funds, and in-depth analysis has been more than I could have hoped for…”
CEO/President, Hotel Corporation
“Since we began working with CFO Strategic Partners, we’re in the best financial position we’ve ever been in… CFO gives my staff and myself financial peace of mind so we can focus on clients and business at hand.”
CEO, Insurance Agency
“With CFO as our partner, we’re able to see the total picture…. Through their expertise, we’re receiving the highest level of educated financial planning that will propel us into the future.”
President, Florida Architectural Firm